Dear Friends and Supporters,
Today November 25th 2019, marks the one year anniversary for the BarbaraCares Foundation. One year ago today, the decision was made to continue in the fight for hope and to inspire others to press on in their fight against breast cancer. These past twelve months have been filled with service, countless blessings, testimonials, and dedication to truly and tangibly impact the community. As we look back and reminiscence on each and every step that has brought us to this moment in time, we are yet reminded that there is so much more that we must do. In honor of Barbara L. Sanders-Holland, the many that have passed, and those that are still fighting today, we vow to continue to be a support to both patient and families here in Texas until there is a cure!
Why We Fight?
We fight because the statistics demand that we do something! According to Texas Oncology:
- In the U.S., one in eight women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer during her lifetime.
- In the U.S. in 2019, 258,600 women and 2,670 men are expected to be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.
- In 2019, breast cancer is expected to claim the lives of 41,760 women and 500 men in the U.S.
- In Texas in 2019, an estimated 18,102 new cases of female and male breast cancer are expected, with 3,245 deaths.
- Texas ranks 3rd in the U.S. for new cases and 3rd in the estimated cancer deaths due to breast cancer
We fight because too many are being diagnosed and too many are dying as a result of this disease. Barbara lost her battle to breast cancer, but never once did she lose her will to fight! In her honor and for the countless brave men and women still currently fighting to beat breast cancer, the BarbaraCares Foundation will continue to advocate every day for advanced treatments, new screening options, dietary awareness and be a voice of hope to those traveling this journey. We can beat cancer and in the words of Barbara herself, "Fight, Smile AND Fight Some More!" We fight in solidarity believing that the statistics will change for all!