Chocolate Lavender Fudge with Salted Caramel Top
Ingredients for the Fudge :
• 32 ounces (2 ½ cup) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
• 30- ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
• 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
• 2 tablespoon Culinary Lavender , finely ground (in a spice grinder, clean coffee grinder or with a mortar and pestle)
Ingredients for Salted Caramel Topping:
• 1 teaspoons Sea Salt granules , Grey Salt or flaked finishing salt
• 2 teaspoon Culinary Lavender
• 2 cup Granulated Sugar
• 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
• 0.5 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Instructions for Chocolate Lavender Fudge:
1. Line a 9 by 9 inch square baking pan with foil. Set aside.
2. Place all ingredients into the top of a double boiler or heatproof metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Stirring often, allow the chocolate chips and butter to melt and all combine into a smooth, creamy mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator a few hours until set or overnight.
Instructions for Salted Caramel Top:
1. Remove the lavender fudge from the refrigerator to sit at room temperature while the caramel is prepared. In a small bowl mix together the finishing salt and lavender for the top of the caramel; set aside.
2. Place sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Allow sugar to warm until it begins to melt (approximately 5-8 minutes). Begin to stir the sugar to hasten melting and ensure no burning; stir until fully liquefied (approximately 10-12 minutes from starting to heat the sugar).
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the butter. It will splatter to be careful to avoid getting burned. Stir to fully melt and incorporate the butter.
4. Slowly drizzle the cream into the caramel mixture, again it will splatter. Stir to fully mix together. Remove from heat and allow to cool only for 3 to 4 minutes (if it cools longer it will begin to set and not spread on top of the fudge).
5. Spread the caramel on the top of the fudge quickly smoothing it evenly over the top. Quickly sprinkle the salt and lavender mixture on the top of the fudge before it sets. Return to the refrigerator to set for a few hours.
6. Remove the fudge from the refrigerator to cut it. Lift the fudge in the foil out of the 9 x 9 pan. The caramel top will be firm but can be cut and will soften when at room temperature. Cut the fudge into ¾ inch by ¾ inch pieces. I found this is most easily done but cutting a strip of ¾ inch wide fudge and then cutting it into pieces. Wrap in candy foil or serve straight away!
Recipe and photo: Boulderlocavore.com